Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Mastripolito Tallies In Owls' Tough Loss To Dickinson

Paige Mastripolito plays against Dickinson fall 2019

BRYN MAWR, Pa. - The Bryn Mawr soccer team put on a strong effort against a quality opponent earlier Saturday afternoon on Applebee Field. The Owls gave Dickinson a challenge at times in their contest today, and Paige Mastripolito scored a goal to snap a three-game scoreless streak for Bryn Mawr. However, a goal just 12 seconds into the game from Meg Tate put the Red Devils out front early, and they never looked back in what ended up a 4-1 win in favor of Dickinson. Carlie Hansen made six saves on the day for Bryn Mawr in goal.

Bryn Mawr had earned the right to start the game with the ball, and the Owls worked a couple passes to get the ball into their defensive midfield. However, a heavy touch resulted in a turnover, and Dickinson's Kyra Thomas sent a pass up through the middle of the midfield that Tate was able to run onto in space. The first-year blasted a rocket of a shot from the top left outside the box, and despite a strong diving effort from Hansen, the ball found the top right corner and gave the Red Devils a lead just 12 seconds into the contest.

Tate nearly doubled her output just eight minutes later as she nailed the crossbar with a free kick from just under thirty yards out. However, the freshman would end up getting her second goal of the day just a few minutes later anyway. Another Dickinson attack led to a Red Devil getting into the box alone on goal. Hansen, as she would do all day, did a fantastic job of reading the play and coming off her line to cut down the angle, but her dive at the ball accidentally caught the foot of the Red Devils' attacker instead. That resulted in a penalty kick, and Tate was able to score low inside the left post to make it a 2-0 lead for the visitors.

The Owls did a good job of shutting down Dickinson's attack from then on in the rest of the half, but the Red Devils got off to a similarly quick start in the second half with a goal just three minutes into play. Tate was once again involved, sending a pass to Jessica Kiefer who scored to give the visitors a 3-0 lead. However, Bryn Mawr stayed in the game and continued to battle, and that fight paid off less than ten minutes later. After a Dickinson turnover, the Owls worked the ball upfield quickly on the counterattack. Ultimately, Bryn Mawr got a pass to the foot of Mastripolito at the top right of the box, and the first-year forward let a shot loose that appeared to be headed toward the center of the goal. However, the driven shot caromed off the stomach of a Dickinson player and redirected just inside the right post to get the Owls on the board.

Unfortunately, that would be the lone real chance of the day for the Owls. Dickinson would tally one more time, as a fantastic cross from Sarah Hughes found Ellie Harris alone in front of the goal to volley the ball home. That closed out the scoring on the day, and the Red Devils held on for a 4-1 win in the contest.

Bryn Mawr will return to action on Tuesday night, as they will play their make-up game at Swarthmore at 7:00 PM on the road.