Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Owls Play to 1-1 Draw Against Cairn

Logan Ward powers through against Cairn in September 2018

BRYN MAWR, Pa. - The Bryn Mawr soccer team battled back from an early deficit to earn a big result against Cairn earlier Tuesday on Applebee Field. The game ultimately ended in a 1-1 tie, but both sides probably came away somewhat disappointed after leaving several chances on the table. Ingrid Engelhardt scored a goal for the second straight game for the Owls, who outshot the visitors 20-10 in the affair. All three goalkeepers in the game came away with some huge saves, particularly late in the contest. Cairn's goal came in the sixth minute off of a corner kick, with Sara Hayduchok tallying the strike for the Highlanders.

Cairn was the team on the front foot early on in tonight's match, and their hard work paid immediate dividends. The Highlanders forced Owls goalkeeper Kinsey Schwab into a tough save early that resulted in a corner kick. The visitors were able to put a ball into the box that bounced around dangerously between teams. Finally, a Cairn player poked a pass to her teammate, Sara Hayduchok, and she was able to drill a low shot past Schwab and into the left side of the net, giving the visitors a 1-0 advantage.

From that moment on over the next 20 minutes, it was like a switch flipped, as it was the Owls who had all the chances. Bryn Mawr outshot the Highlanders 5-0 over that stretch, and they were some high quality looks as well. One moment in particular could have easily been a goal for the Owls, as Elizabeth Hummel had a shot saved by Cairn goalkeeper Mackenzie Paugh, her follow-up attempt went wide and never made it on frame, and then Sarah Coufal pounced on the loose ball and saw a shot go just wide as well. Ultimately, Cairn slowly started to find their footing again, and despite a few more chances for both sides, neither team was able to find another goal in the first half.

Bryn Mawr certainly was not about to let their hard work go to waste on their home turf, however. Just a few minutes into the second half, the Owls knotted the game up with somewhat of a fluke goal. With the ball deep on the left side of the field, first-year Ingrid Engelhardt tried to drill a cross (or, potentially, even a shot) into the middle of the penalty box. However, the ball stuck the defender marking her and sailed high into the air, arcing towards the Cairn goal. Paugh came off her line and tried to collect the strange carom, but instead, the ball came down quickly and bounced over top of the Cairn goalkeeper and into the netting, tying things up at 1-1.

Both sides pressed hard for the go-ahead goal, and play got more frenetic and back-and-forth as time wound down. Perhaps the best chance came with ten minutes left in the half. Emily Elmore managed to turn her defender in the box and get a step towards the cage. However, her effort was only stopped by a strong save by Paugh, and ultimately the two sides headed to overtime. In the first extra frame, it was Cairn who carried the play and had the best chance to win the game. Less than two minutes into the period, the Highlanders had three shots in the span of 10 seconds. First, Carlie Hanson came up huge with a parry save on a Cairn shot in the box. Then, after a cross, another Cairn player headed a shot over Hansen, but that ball rebounded off of the crossbar. Finally, a Cairn player got to the rebound first, but her effort too was saved by Hansen, slamming the door on the Highlanders' chance. In the second overtime, Bryn Mawr returned the favor, controlling the frame and outshooting the Highlanders 3-0. Justine Davis, Elizabeth Hummel, and Emily Elmore all had shots on goal for the Owls, but Paugh stood strong in the net for the Highlanders, saving each shot to preserve the 1-1 tie.

The Owls will now prep for their first Centennial Conference game of the season, which will come on Saturday. Bryn Mawr will welcome Johns Hopkins to Applebee Field for a 3:00 PM contest.