Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Field Hockey Suffers First Loss in Battle at Johns Hopkins

Meghan O'Shea plays against Hood in September of 2019

BALTIMORE, Md. – The Bryn Mawr field hockey team took their undefeated record on the road to Johns Hopkins earlier Saturday afternoon, looking to make some noise against a nationally-ranked Blue Jays squad. The Owls did a great job of pressuring Johns Hopkins throughout the contest, with the squad getting off 12 shots against the eighth-ranked team in Division III. Meghan O'Shea scored for Bryn Mawr in the third quarter, the first Owls goal against Johns Hopkins since the 2014 season. However, the Blue Jays were able to fend off the rest of Bryn Mawr's chances and ultimately protect their turf with a 5-1 win on the day.

The Blue Jays started their attack early in the contest, earning a penalty corner just 32 seconds into the game. Although Bryn Mawr defended that chance well, Johns Hopkins would score on a similar penalty corner opportunity just six minutes later to take a 1-0 lead in the game. The Owls did a great job of keeping their composure and trying to get the goal right back, as they got their first chances of the day on a penalty corner of their own a minute later. Sara Rilatt had a shot blocked on that attempt, and then three minutes later, Olivia Supron saw her first shot of the day saved by Hopkins' Kaitlin Hall. Moments after that, the Blue Jays would counterattack and find their second goal of the day on another penalty corner opportunity.

Bryn Mawr continued to stay in the game in the second quarter, playing some scrappy defense and looking for chances where they could. Kelly Bergman had two good looks at the goal in the period, but once again Hall made two good saves for Hopkins to keep Bryn Mawr off the board. Then, with just 1:20 to go before halftime, the Blue Jays scratched across another goal on a shot that took an unfortunate redirect off Bryn Mawr goalkeeper Maggie Titus' pads and went into the back of the cage.

The halftime break didn't slow the Blue Jays' attack down, as the hosts tallied their fourth goal of the day just four minutes into the second half. However, Bryn Mawr didn't give up on their gameplan, and they immediately went to work in the offensive zone. Several penalty corners over the next few minutes resulted in shots by Rilatt, Mary Cugini, and Grace Morris that were all blocked. Lydia Fisher also got a chance after Morris' effort, but Hall stopped her shot too.

However, another foul on that play led to a fourth Bryn Mawr corner, and this time the Owls cashed in. The corner set up a shot for Cugini that was stopped by Hall once again, but O'Shea was right there for the rebound and batted the ball into the cage to get Bryn Mawr on the board.

Unfortunately, Bryn Mawr didn't get much of a chance to build any momentum, as Hopkins struck their final blow less than two minutes later on a shot that got redirected at the post. The fourth quarter saw neither side able to make any noise; however, Owls' first-year Kelcie Eberharth made a tremendous defensive save late in the game for the Owls to get her name in the stat sheet.

Despite today's setback, the Owls still carry plenty of momentum from their hot start to the season into the rest of their Centennial Conference slate. They'll be back in action at home next week, as they welcome Washington College to campus. That game is slated for 4:30 PM on Applebee Field on Thursday, September 26th.