Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Owls Overwhelm Hendrix in Big Non-Conference Win

Team celebrates an Emily Cook goal September 2018

BRYN MAWR, Pa. - The cold, wet weather couldn't keep the Bryn Mawr field hockey team from putting on an explosive performance on Applebee Field earlier Sunday afternoon. The Owls put up a five-spot in the first half of the contest, including two goals apiece from first-years Emily Cook and Bailey Turner, and that was more than enough to seal the deal. Maggie Titus picked up her first career victory in the cage for Bryn Mawr, who coasted their way to the 5-0 win. Hendrix goalkeeper Alexis Truitt made seven saves in the contest to keep things from being any worse for the Warriors.

The Owls were on the attack right from the start, with Samantha Shaw registering Bryn Mawr's first shot just 2:17 into play. Truitt made the save on that one for the Warriors, but it was only a momentary reprieve. Shaw would get the Owls on the scoreboard just three minutes later. After a penalty corner was sent towards the cage, the ball bounced around dangerously in front of the cage. Several players had a chance at it, but Shaw was the one who got her stick to it first, and she sent a shot into the right corner of the cage to give Bryn Mawr a 1-0 lead.

Bryn Mawr would double their lead just five minutes later, this time off the stick of Emily Cook. Once again, Bryn Mawr earned a penalty corner, and the Owls worked the ball onto the stick of Mary Cugini. The junior co-captain fired a shot that was blocked, but the rebound came to Cook. The first-year forward was in the perfect spot, slotting the rebound right into the center of the cage to put the Owls up 2-0.

Although the Owls continued to control the game, Hendrix did a solid job in the middle part of the first half of limiting Bryn Mawr's chances in the final third. However, the Owls would strike again late in the half, with three goals in the final ten minutes of play. The first would be Cook's second tally of the day. Once again, it all started with a penalty corner, as both Emma Hicks and Zaynah Moen got shots off that Truitt was able to save. However, the tall Owls forward was in the right place at the right time once again, banging home the rebound right in front of the cage to give the Owls a 3-0 advantage. Then, with under five minutes to go in the half, Bailey Turner got in on the action. Samantha Shaw made a great run down the right side, getting inside the circle down low and sending a pass out front. Turner got on the other end of that at the near post and redirected a shot into the center of the cage. She would then double her tally on the very next play of the game just over a minute later, this time scoring off of a feed from Cook. When the horn finally sounded to end the first half, Bryn Mawr was firmly in control with a 5-0 advantage.

Bryn Mawr continued to control the game most of the way through the second half, but the Owls were unable to get another goal in that frame. Hendrix managed to earn their first several chances of the game in that second half, but goalkeeper Logan Wallace Wood made the only save asked of either Owls goalkeeper in the game, and Bryn Mawr ultimately cruised to their 5-0 win.

The Owls will look to make it two-in-a-row when they get back in action this week. Bryn Mawr will welcome Moravian to Applebee Field on Wednesday afternoon, with gametime slated for 4:30 PM.