Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Bryn Mawr Earns Draw on Road Against Wesley

Kass Wojcik September 2018

DOVER, Del. - The Bryn Mawr soccer team faced off against a tough Wesley College squad earlier Saturday evening in a non-conference road contest. Despite falling behind early, the Owls dominated for long stretches of the game, ultimately tying things up in the second half. However, neither side was able to find a winning goal, and the Owls earned a big 1-1 draw against the Wolverines. Kass Wojcik tallied her first collegiate goal for the Owls, while Leah Baer made her senior season debut in goal after returning from an early season injury.

It was the hosts who were on the front foot early on, as they carried most of the possession and were able to pepper the Bryn Mawr defense with multiple shots in the first fifteen minutes of action. The first Wesley shot went high, and then Bryn Mawr got a counterattacking chance of their own. However, Elizabeth Kiely's attempt was blocked, and the Wolverines would come back the other way and pin the Owls in their own end. Baer made a great save on the next Wesley effort, and then the Wolverines put a shot wide before nailing the crossbar with another. Baer made another solid stop on the next Wesley shot, but the Wolverines pressure finally broke through, and a goal from Wesley's Megan Shacklock put he hosts up 1-0 by the 15-minute mark.

Immediately after that goal, Bryn Mawr came back the other way and started to control the game. The Owls poured four shots on goal over the next six minutes, getting perhaps their best look at tying things up in the half in that stretch. Emily Elmore ripped a shot that beat the Wesley goalkeeper, but caromed off of the post away from danger. Later on in the half, Alexis Boutchie, Catherine Bactat, and Kass Wojcik all had shots saved by the Wolverines goalkeeper, and when the teams headed into the halftime break, Wesley still clung to their 1-0 lead.

Bryn Mawr continued to control play in the second half, and all that pressure would pay off just over twenty minutes into the frame. Elizabeth Kiely played a great through ball, allowing Wojcik to run onto it past her defender and rip a shot on goal. Her effort sailed past the Wesley keeper and into the back of the net, knotting things up at 1-1.

Wesley would have most of the chances on goal over the remainder of regular time, although Kiely and Wojcik each saw shots go just wide before the second half ended. However, neither side could find the winner, sending the teams into overtime. In the first extra frame, Wesley got a pair of shots in the first two minutes, but Bryn Mawr dominated from there on out. The Owls ripped five shots and earned a corner kick, but two Wesley saves and three blocks by the Wolverines' defense kept Bryn Mawr from scoring on any of those chances. The second overtime was a mirror of the first, as Bryn Mawr had two great chances off the foot of Alexis Boutchie early on. Then, it was Wesley who tallied a pair of shots. However, Baer made one more great save on the final chance of the game, and with that, the two teams closed out the game still tied at 1-1.

The Owls will be back in action next Saturday for Homecoming. Gametime against Gettysburg College is slated for 12:00 PM on Applebee Field.