Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Owls Offense Comes Alive In Second Half Against Dickinson

Kylie Woo plays for the Owls in the 2019 season

BRYN MAWR, Pa. - The Bryn Mawr lacrosse team got back into Centennial Conference play earlier Saturday afternoon at home, as the Owls welcomed Dickinson College to campus. It was a tough matchup for Bryn Mawr, as the Red Devils showcased a powerful attack early on, but the Owls battled back in the second half, combining a solid defense and an opportunistic offense to score their most goals against Dickinson since the 2014 season. Sierra Hamilton, Kylie Woo, and Nina Houri all scored for Bryn Mawr, while Jessica Calloway made eight saves in the cage for the Owls.

Dickinson got off to a fast start in the contest, scoring three goals in the first two minutes of action. The Owls took a quick timeout to try and reset after the opening salvo, but the Red Devils just kept coming. They showcased precision passing and some well-executed offensive sets to find players slicing in alone on net. That helped the visitors build an 8-0 lead in the first ten minutes of action, an advantage that grew to 11-0 at the half.

However, Bryn Mawr did a great job of regrouping at halftime. Dickinson scored the first three goals of the second half, but the Owls had a handful of great opportunities of their own, and they were able to capitalize on one with 16:28 to go in the game. After putting together a solid run of possession and running through a great offensive set, the ball ended up on the stick of Seirra Hamilton. The first-year midfielder made a great run through the Dickinson defense, ultimately getting a great look at the cage and firing the ball into the back of the net to give Bryn Mawr their first goal of the game.

The Owls would score twice more in the final minutes, starting with a tally from Woo. The sophomore made another fantastic cut into the eight-meter area to gain some space on her defender. Isabel Shin saw Woo come open from below the cage, and she fired a great pass to her teammate, with Woo doing the rest. She fired a low shot past the Red Devils goalkeeper and into the back of the net. Then, with under a minute to go in the contest, Houri made a great individual run to score a goal of her own, slicing through the Dickinson defense and putting the ball in the back of the cage. With that, the Owls had scored the final two goals of the game to finalize the score at 3-17.

Despite the tough result, there were still plenty of positives for head coach Kelly Corbett and the rest of the Owls to draw from today's game. They'll look to continue their hard work when they get back in action next week, as they'll travel to Swarthmore on Wednesday night for another Centennial Conference contest.