Lacrosse Nipped By Garnet in League Contest

Lacrosse Nipped By Garnet in League Contest

SWARTHMORE, Pa. - Today was yet another difficult Centennial Conference game for the Owls lacrosse team, but they certainly made it interesting. Despite everything being against them this afternoon for their game against the Garnet, the Bryn Mawr team put out an incredible effort to make it a compelling contest. The Owls battled some rainy weather, injuries, and a stingy Swarthmore defense and still managed to make some headway in the contest. However, the Garnet offense proved too explosive, as they were able to protect their home turf with a 16-5 victory over Bryn Mawr earlier Saturday. Freshman midfielder Oona Ryle led the Owls with three goals on the afternoon, while Katie Alpert made 13 saves in yet another solid performance in goal.

Swarthmore (5-4, 1-1 CC) jumped all over the Owls early on, as Kathryn Restrepo scored just 27 seconds in to give the hosts a 1-0 lead. In fact, she would score three of the Garnet's first four goals of the game, and all within the opening five minutes of play to put Swarthmore out in front early. Bryn Mawr (4-4, 0-3 CC) tried to staunch the tide, but playing down several key players, the Owls were simply unable to maintain any possession in the opening part of the game. Back-to-back goals from Swarthmore's leading scorer, Lizzie Kolin, made it 7-0, and then Kolin assisted on two more to bump the lead out to 9-0 in the first 15 minutes of play.

The Owls were able to claw their way onto the scoreboard with just over 11 minutes to play in the half, as Ryle tallied an unassisted goal for the first of the day for the visitors. Later on, Fiona Steele netted her 18th goal of the season on a sharp shot from a free position attempt. Then, with just nine seconds to go in the half, Ryle took a pass from Erica Dwyer and was able to sneak a shot past Swarthmore's Connie Bowen and into the net for the Owls third goal of the day. However, Swarthmore had not slowed down themselves and still held a 12-3 lead as the teams headed to halftime.

The hosts tallied twice more to start the second half, but Bryn Mawr answered back in the eleventh minute of play. This time, it was freshman Kendall Derber who got on the board. Derber fired a shot past Bowen to give the Owls their fourth goal of the season and her first collegiate goal. Ryle would add one more goal for the Owls, completing her hat trick on a free position shot with 90 seconds left to play. Unfortunately, despite the solid effort from each Bryn Mawr player on the day, Swarthmore held on easily for the 16-5 victory in the end.

The Owls will hope to heal up and start preparing for their next contest on Wednesday. Bryn Mawr will return home to the friendly confines of Applebee Field for another Centennial Conference contest. This time, the Owls will host Franklin & Marshall College, who currently occupy the fifth spot in the IWLCA Division III Coaches poll. Bryn Mawr will look to pull off a major upset when the two teams face off on Wednesday, with the game slated to start at 4:30 PM.