Lacrosse Tripped Up by Dickinson

Lacrosse Tripped Up by Dickinson

CARLISLE, Pa. - The Bryn Mawr lacrosse team hit the road earlier Saturday for a Centennial Conference tilt against Dickinson College. Despite a strong start early from the Owls, it was the Red Devils who turned up the wick offensively and powered through for a 17-2 win.

Dickinson (3-2, 1-0 CC) tallied the opening goal of the game just 20 seconds into play, as Sam Marmo took a pass from Anne Dunster right off the draw and put the ball in the back of the net. The Red Devils would score twice more inside the opening three minutes, but then the Owls settled things down and imposed their own offense on the contest. Bryn Mawr (3-3, 0-2 CC) collected a turnover in their offensive zone and cleared the ball out, thanks to a solid ground ball collection by Katie Alpert. After making it into the Red Devils' defensive side, Bryn Mawr was able to work the ball around well, running a solid play that got the ball onto the stick of Erica Dwyer. She was subsequently fouled inside the arc, giving her a free position opportunity. Dwyer, who has proven deadly on those opportunities so far this young season, was able to rip the ball past Dickinson's Tara Cuddihy and into the cage to get the Owls back within two.

The host's response was almost instantaneous, however, as the Red Devils answered back with a goal of their own less than a minute later. They then rattled off five more goals in a ten-minute span to take a 9-1 lead with less than 8 minutes to go in the half. Once again, the Owls tried to respond and did so thanks to a great effort from Fiona Steele and Oona Ryle. Steele was able to win the draw off of the previous Dickinson goal and race into the offensive zone, ultimately making a great pass to Ryle. The freshman whipped a nice shot on net, once again getting one past Cuddihy to get the Owls back on the board.

Unfortunately, that would simply not be enough to match the output of the Red Devils offense. Even despite a tremendous outing from Katie Alpert, who made a season-high 16 saves in the cage for the Owls, Dickinson would end up scoring two more times in the half, and then six more second-half goals, to claim a 17-2 victory on their home turf.

With the loss, the Owls slip back to .500 at 3-3 on the year. They'll get a great chance to bounce back next week, however, as they return to Applebee Field to face off against Bryn Athyn on Wednesday. The Lions are currently just 1-1 on the year and will be playing their first game away from their home field this season when the two teams meet. Wednesday's matchup is slated to start at 4:30 PM on Applebee Field.