Owls Take Thrilling Overtime Victory on Road

Owls Take Thrilling Overtime Victory on Road

Bryn Athyn, Pa. - The Bryn Mawr lacrosse team picked up a big victory earlier Thursday afternoon, and did so in fantastic fashion. The Owls needed a second-half turnaround against Bryn Athyn to get themselves back in the game, and then took home the 9-8 win with a strong performance in a back-and-forth overtime period. Fiona Steele led Bryn Mawr with three goals in the contest, while goalkeeper Katie Alpert made 12 saves in the winning effort. For the Lions, Savanna Smith and Kaitlyn Brock both tallied three goals to lead the way.

Bryn Mawr (3-3, 0-1 Cent.) got out in front right off the opening whistle. Diana Kelley took the draw control and led the Owls down the field. The ball ended up on the stick of Steele, who fired a great pass into the circle to Claire Johnson. The Owls leading scorer knew exactly what to do with the pass, rocketing a shot into the net to give Bryn Mawr an early 1-0 lead.

Bryn Athyn (0-2, 0-0 NEAC) did not simply roll over after going down early. As a matter of fact, they responded with three straight goals of their own to jump out in front by a 3-1 score. The Owls then answered with two goals of their own to tie the game at three all. The first of those came from Georgina Dominique on a free position shot, and then Steele got her first goal of the game to knot things back up while the Owls were playing down a player. However, Bryn Athyn came back with two more goals over the final six minutes of the half to take a 5-3 lead into the lockers at halftime.

Finding themselves trailing as they came back for the second period, Bryn Mawr got right back to work at chipping away at their deficit. Spain got the Owls on the board first in the period, scoring a nice goal off of a free position shot to cut the margin to one. Then, with a player advantage due to a Bryn Athyn yellow card, Steele scored her second of the game to tie things at 5-5. Bryn Athyn tried to get back out in front with another goal to make it 6-5, but senior Ashley Arbuckle got yet another huge goal for the Owls to tie things back up. After earning a free position shot, Arbuckle fired the ball high into the back of the cage with just over seven minutes left to play in regulation. Neither side could score again before the clock ran dry, sending the teams into a six-minute overtime period.

Bryn Athyn got on the scoreboard first, going up 7-6 on a goal by Brock. But it was all Owls after that. Spain, Arbuckle, and Steele would tally three straight goals to vault Bryn Mawr into a 9-7 lead with 2:44 left to play in the game. The Lions would get one goal back in that time frame, but the Owls were able to run out the rest of the clock to come away with a thrilling 9-8 victory in the game.

With the win, the Owls move back to an even .500 on the season at 3-3 so far. They'll get one day off tomorrow before getting right back in action on Saturday afternoon. Bryn Mawr will face their second Centennial conference opponent of the season in Dickinson, and they'll get them at home on Applebee Field. Saturday's game against the Red Devils is set to kick off at 1:00 PM.