Owls Take Down Drew On Road

Mary Cugini plays against Bryn Athyn September 2018

MADISON, N.J. - The Bryn Mawr field hockey team played their final non-conference contest of the fall season earlier Thursday afternoon, traveling over to New Jersey to take on Drew University. The Owls got off to a great start in the contest, scoring a goal just 58 seconds into the game. Drew would tie things up later in the first half, but Bryn Mawr surged back ahead in the second half to claim a 3-1 victory on the day. Mary Cugini led the way for the Owls with a goal and an assist in a game Bryn Mawr dominated, with the Owls outscoring Drew 15-3 on the afternoon.

Bryn Mawr jumped on the Rangers right out of the gate, scoring the opening goal of the game just 58 seconds into the contest. Mary Cugini had the ball up top, and she fired a pass down low. Kelly Bergman was waiting on the post, and she was able to get her stick on the ball and deflect it into the back of the cage, putting Bryn Mawr ahead 1-0 less than a minute into the game.

Bergman had a couple of chances to double up on her tally just a few minutes later, but Drew's Ryann Callaghan made two strong saves on her attempts. That proved big for the hosts, as they came back down to the other end of the field and tied things up in the 20th minute. Maggie Titus did a fantastic job to save the Ranger's first shot of the game, but Drew maintained possession, and they would score out of a scramble in front of the cage just moments later. That would be the only chance of the half for the Rangers, as Bryn Mawr buckled down and started to pepper the Drew cage for the rest of the half. However, they were unable to scratch another goal across, and the two teams headed into the halftime break deadlocked at 1-1.

Bryn Mawr came into the second half really pressing for the go-ahead goal, and they quickly pinned Drew deep in their own end early on in the frame. A pair of penalty corners led to two shots from Cugini, but Callaghan made the save on each attempt. However, on the second, the ball rebounded dangerously in front, and the Owls would pounce. Grace Morris would be in the right spot at the right time, following up on the save and blasting a shot from the left post. With Callaghan still on the ground, the ball sailed past her and into the net, giving Bryn Mawr a big 2-1 lead.

The Owls continued to shut Drew down on the other end of the field, and with the clock running down, it was all Bryn Mawr the rest of the way. The team earned several more corners and shots, and eventually put another ball in the cage. This time, the tally came off a penalty corner, with Lydia Fisher initiating the play. She sent the ball up top, and ultimately Morris ripped another shot. Her effort was saved, but once again the ball rebounded dangerously in front, and this time it was Cugini who pounced and slammed the ball into the back of the cage. That key insurance goal would be the final scoring of the game, as Bryn Mawr cruised away with a 3-1 win.

Bryn Mawr will be right back in action this weekend, as they don't get much of a break before their next contest. The Owls will be back in Centennial Conference play, as they will welcome Franklin & Marshall to campus on Saturday. Game time against the tenth-ranked Diplomats is slated for 11:00 AM on Applebee Field.