Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Bryn Mawr Battles Shorewomen in Centennial Conference Action

Mary Cugini plays against Bryn Athyn September 2018

CHESTERTOWN, Md. - The Bryn Mawr field hockey squad traveled down to Maryland for their first Centennial Conference road contest of the season, and it turned out to be a close one. Both sides had several great chances in the game, but ultimately it was the Shorewomen of Washington College who hung on for a 2-0 win. Mary Cugini powered the Owls with three shots on the night, and first-year goalkeeper Maggie Titus made four saves. The Shorewomen got the game-winning goal from Grace Steele and a late insurance goal from Sabrina Jenkins.

Bryn Mawr got out to a fast start in tonight's contest, as the Owls registered three penalty corners in the opening ten minutes of play. However, they could not get a shot off on those chances, and suddenly Washington College went the other way and got a goal against the run of play. The Shorewomen's Olivia Auer sent a pass in front of the cage, and Steele managed to slam a shot in at the left post, putting the hosts up 1-0 just 13 minutes into the game.

With that goal, Washington College seized momentum over the next six minutes or so, looking to build their lead. The hosts got five shots and two penalty corners off in that stretch, but Bryn Mawr weathered that storm  thanks in part to two big saves from Titus. That helped spark a turnaround for the Owls, as they worked their way down the field and made some opportunities for themselves. One such chance came as a penalty corner, and Bryn Mawr was able to get their first shot of the game as a result of that. Lydia Fisher sent the ball up top, and Emma Hicks ripped a shot on goal. The ball bounded past the Shorewomen goalkeeper and seemed headed into the back of the cage, but Washington College's Sabrina Jenkins made a huge stop and cleared the ball away. That earned Bryn Mawr another corner, and this time it was Cugini who ripped a shot, but it went just wide. That shut the door on Bryn Mawr's final chance of the first half, and the two teams headed to the break with the margin still at 1-0.

After shutting down several Shorewomen chances in the opening ten minutes of the second half, the Owls really turned up the wick during the middle part of the half in search of the game-tying goal. Their first chance at that was a great shot from Samantha Shaw, but Morgan Domanico made the stop for the hosts. Then, Bryn Mawr earned three more penalty corners over the next ten minutes. On the third of those attempts, it was Grace Morris who ripped a shot, but her effort was blocked. Even a timeout from Washington College couldn't stop the Owls' momentum. Bryn Mawr earned another penalty corner, and Cugini got a shot off, but it went just wide to the right. That same sequence repeated just seconds later; this time, Cugini ripped her shot on cage, but Domanico once again made a huge stop. That proved to be the Owls' final chance at tying things up. Bryn Mawr replaced Titus with a kicking back with two minutes left in the contest, seeking to add an extra attacker in search of that all-important goal. However, Washington College kept the ball down in Bryn Mawr's end of the field for much of the final five minutes of play. Ultimately, the Shorewomen sealed the game with a second goal as time expired, closing out their 2-0 win.

Bryn Mawr will be right back in action this weekend for a non-conference showdown. The Owls will host Hendrix College on Sunday afternoon. Game time is set for 11:30 AM on Applebee Field, as the Warriors will have a long bus ride back to Arkansas after the contest.