Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Owls Defense Stands Tall in Close Loss to Dickinson

Owls Defense Stands Tall in Close Loss to Dickinson

BRYN MAWR, Pa. - The Bryn Mawr field hockey team put on another great showing against a Centennial Conference opponent earlier Saturday on Applebee Field. The Owls proved to be a thorn in the side of the Dickinson Red Devils all afternoon in a crucial league tilt. Bryn Mawr out-cornered the visitors by a 2-1 ratio, and the Owls defense and goalkeeper Angela Meng also did a tremendous job limiting Dickinson's opportunities. However, the Red Devils managed to scratch across three goals in the effort, and they were able to fend off every Bryn Mawr attack to come away with a 3-0 victory. Meng made four saves on the afternoon in a great effort in the cage for the Owls. Grace Morris led Bryn Mawr with four shots in the contest. On the other side, it was Kayla Bendinelli who tallied two goals for the visitors, while Alana Platukus netted the game-winner early on.

Dickinson opened the scoring on basically the first play of the contest. After the two sides spent a few minutes trading possession back and forth in the midfield, the Red Devils managed to collect the ball and make a quick attack into the Bryn Mawr end. Chelsea Kramer was able to collect the ball and send a pass into the circle where Platukus was making a good run up the middle. The Dickinson forward managed to receive and fire a shot past Meng and into the cage to put the visitors ahead 1-0.

Bryn Mawr looked for an immediate response to that opening goal, and the Owls got their first look just a few minutes later. After a foul in the circle, Bryn Mawr earned a penalty corner. Lydia Fisher inserted the ball, and it ended up on the stick of Grace Morris, but her shot went just wide of the cage. Dickinson retook possession and started to grind their way back into the offensive end. Bryn Mawr did a great job weathering a few corners and shots from the Red Devils over the next ten minutes. However, the visitors struck again in the 17th minute of play. The Red Devils were awarded a penalty stroke, and Bendinelli stepped up and roofed it into the top left corner to make it a 2-0 lead for Dickinson.

Despite the deficit, it was Bryn Mawr who had the better of the play over the remaining 20 minutes of the half. The Owls earned another penalty corner just minutes after the second Dickinson goal, but were unable to get a shot off on that chance. Later, Samantha Shaw had a great opportunity with a shot from right in front of the cage, but Dickinson goalkeeper Freddie Bancroft closed the pads to keep the ball out. With seven minutes left in the half, Bryn Mawr earned one more penalty corner, but it again resulted in no shot for the Owls.

Bryn Mawr took the pressure to another level in the early minutes of the second half. After weathering a Dickinson corner just a few minutes in, it was the Owls who started racking up chance after chance. Lydia Fisher sent in a penalty corner at the 41:16 mark, and that kicked off a run of five penalty corners and three shots in a three-minute span. Leia Robinson had the first good look in that run of play, getting a shot on goal, but Bancroft made the save. On the fourth penalty corner in the half, it was Cugini who took a pass, dribbled through a pair of defenders, and let a shot rip, but Bancroft once again made the save. Then, on the fifth Owls corner in that span, Cugini got another look, but Bancroft once again saw the ball coming through a mass of players in front and was able to stand strong to make the save and keep Bryn Mawr off the board.

After weathering that storm, Dickinson managed to get their own offense back on track and press for an insurance goal. The visitors racked up several penalty corners and shots of their own, and finally Dickinson managed to break through for a third time. Once again it was Bendinelli who scored, this time off of a broken penalty corner play to make it 3-0. Bryn Mawr tried to fight back and at least get on the board, and they had some good chances in the final minutes. The Owls earned four penalty corners in a two-minute stretch this time, but were only able to get one shot off in the effort. Bryn Mawr earned two more corners as time expired, but Grace Morris had one shot saved and one shot go wide on those efforts, allowing Dickinson to hold on for the 3-0 win.

The Owls did have plenty of positives in today's contest, despite the final result. Bryn Mawr earned twice as many corners as Dickinson and nearly equaled them in shots. Perhaps most impressively, the Owls held Dickinson to their lowest scoring game in the series between these two programs since the 2012 season.

Bryn Mawr will get just one day off before their next contest, as the Owls will play their final non-conference game of the season on Monday. The Owls will travel to Elmire College for a rematch of last year's thrilling contest in which Bryn Mawr came away with a stunning 3-2 comeback win in overtime in front of a raucous Senior Day crowd. This time, Elmira will be looking for a bit of revenge on their home turf, as the game is slated for 3:30 PM in Elmira, New York.