Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Bryn Mawr Field Hockey Battles Green Terror in Conference Tilt

Bryn Mawr Field Hockey Battles Green Terror in Conference Tilt

BRYN MAWR, Pa. - It was a tale of two halves for the Bryn Mawr field hockey team earlier Saturday on Applebee Field. Facing off against a plucky McDaniel squad, the Owls let in three first-half goals to fall behind early on in the game. However, the hosts roared out of the gate in the second and dominated play for long portions of the half, ultimately outcornering their Centennial Conference rivals in the game. Unfortunately, Bryn Mawr was just a bit unlucky as they were unable to scrape anything across in a tough 4-0 loss on the day. Freshman Lydia Fisher led the way for the Owls with three shots in the contest, while senior Haley Newsham chipped in two more. Goalkeeper Angela Meng posted another fine performance in the cage for the Owls, making 11 saves in the game.

Bryn Mawr (0-7, 0-2 Centennial) found themselves on the back foot right from the get-go, as McDaniel created some tremendous pressure on the Owls back line early on in the game. That effort led to a goal just 4:45 into play for the visitors, as Megan Quattrone cleaned up a rebound right in front of the cage to put the Green Terror up 1-0 early on. They nearly doubled their lead just a few minutes later, but Jensyn Koontz' effort went off the post.

The Owls tried to rally back from the tough start, and some great team effort led to Bryn Mawr's first good opportunity of the game. The hosts earned a penalty corner, and Lydia Fisher sent the ball in from the left side. After a couple great passes, Bryn Mawr was able to find Fisher open along on the left wing inside the circle. Fisher fired a shot on goal that McDaniel's Christina Gooding was able to stop, but the ball popped straight back to Fisher. Her second effort looked headed towards the near post, but it clanged just off the outside edge of the frame and harmlessly wide.

McDaniel (2-5, 1-1 Centennial) responded to that scare by doubling up their lead just a few minutes later. This time it was a partial breakaway inside the left side of the circle. Gabrielle Yore got a shot off for the Green Terror that Angela Meng made a fantastic save on, but Yore was able to collect the rebound and fire home to make it 2-0. Roughly ten minutes later in the contest, the visitors got their third goal, this time on a high chip into the top right corner from Emily Houska. That was exactly the way things stayed until the halftime horn sounded, with McDaniel carrying a 3-0 lead to the break.

The second half looked completely different for the Owls, and the change came right from the start of the frame. Bryn Mawr's work rate increased tenfold and the Owls were putting McDaniel under pressure all over the field. That pressure paid off in spades, as Bryn Mawr earned four penalty corners and took four shots in roughly the first 15 minutes of the second half. Samantha Heyrich and Haley Newsham each had efforts blocked, and then Newsham had another opportunity saved by Gooding. Minutes later, it was Fisher who had another good look at goal, but this effort too was saved. Unfortunately, that would spell the end of Bryn Mawr's offensive chances. Despite the Owls controlling most of the second half, it was McDaniel who tallied the lone second half goal and came away with the 4-0 victory on the day.

The four goals allowed to McDaniel is tied for the fewest Bryn Mawr has given up to the Green Terror since the 2010 campaign, a sign of the positive direction the Owls are moving in. Bryn Mawr will look to keep that trend rolling next week, as they hit the road for a matchup at Washington College. The Owls and Shorewomen will clash at 7:00 PM in Chestertown, MD on Tuesday evening.