Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Field Hockey Stumbles in Loss at Dickinson

Field Hockey Stumbles in Loss at Dickinson

Carlisle, Pa. - For the second-straight contest, the Bryn Mawr field hockey team managed to head into halftime trailing by just one goal in a tightly contested affair. Once again, however, the Owls saw their opponents explode in the second half to run away with a big win, this time on the road at Dickinson. Bryn Mawr came back from an early 2-0 deficit with a goal just before halftime to get back within striking distance. However, the Red Devils scored seven unanswered goals in the second frame to take home the 9-1 victory.

Bryn Mawr (2-9, 0-6 Cent.) played Dickinson (10-3, 4-2 Cent.) very strong over the opening 15 minutes of play. The Owls were unable to get much possession of the ball, but they held their own in the defensive end, forcing numerous shots wide and allowing goalkeeper Alex Weinfeld to make three good saves on other chances to keep the game deadlocked at 0-0 early on. However, the hosts finally broke through in the 18th minute with a goal from Catherine Perlmutter off the run of play to give the Red Devils a 1-0 lead. They would double up on that just a few minutes later off of a penalty corner. Weinfeld was able to make another of her 16 saves on the afternoon to keep out the first Dickinson effort, but Perlmutter pounced on the rebound and slipped the ball into the cage to peg the Owls back by two.

However, as they have shown all season, the phrase "give up" is not in the Bryn Mawr field hockey dictionary. The Owls continued to face nearly relentless pressure from the Red Devils, but they were able to parry all further attacks in the half, and over the final six minutes of the frame managed to start taking it to Dickinson themselves. Bryn Mawr earned two penalty corners in the 30th and 31st minute, and it was on that second attempt that the Owls would close the deficit with their opponents. Sophomore Katie Alpert sent a great pass up to the top of the circle on the attempt, and in a beautiful set play, the ball made its way to Ashley Arbuckle. The senior captain knew just what to do with it, blasting a shot past Dickinson goalkeeper Emily Fuss and into the cage to make it just a 2-1 game just before halftime.

Unfortunately, that shot would be the only look at the goal Bryn Mawr would get for the rest of the afternoon. In a similar manner to the Owls most recent game against Muhlenberg, their opponents turned seemingly unstoppable in the second half. Dickinson retook their two-goal advantage just over five minutes into the frame, and from there the onslaught began. Over the remaining half-hour of play, the Red Devils put home six more goals, including five in a span of less than ten minutes, to coast home to the 9-1 victory.

The Owls drop to 2-9 on the season with the loss, but there are still five games left to turn that record around. Bryn Mawr's next contest will be somewhat bittersweet, as the Owls will take on Gettysburg College next Saturday, October 18th. That game will also be Senior Day for Bryn Mawr, as families and fans say thanks to five seniors in their last weekend game as an Owl. Be sure to arrive early for the festivities; game time is scheduled for 1:00 PM next week.